The emergency services profession has a saying, “seconds save lives.” A properly numbered house allows responding police, fire, and EMS personnel to quickly locate your address. Click here for the Town of Stonington’s ordinance about house numbering.
Many people do not have house numbers at all, never mind have house numbers that are clearly visible from the street. This makes it very tough for Police, Fire and EMS vehicles to find your house in an emergency. Here are some tips to properly display your house number:
• Place large, easy to read numbers on an area of your house most visible from the street.
• If your house is set back from the street, make sure you have numbers on a mailbox, post, or fence etc.
• Make sure the material you use will not fade or wear easily from weather.
• Choose colors that will not blend into the background they are displayed on.
- Save Some Green by Going Green
- Halloween Safety Tips for Trick or Treating